A spooky scene: Local residents are getting into the spirit of Halloween. Many are competing in the Mayfair Halloween Decorating Contest, including this home on the 2800 block of Fanshawe St. MARIA YOUNG / TIMES PHOTO
While some stores have been carrying Halloween-themed items since July 4, the real holiday is just days away.
Kids will be trick-or-treating starting in the late afternoon on Monday, with surveys showing the most popular costumes being superheroes, princesses and animals.
But before kids collect dozens of pieces of chocolate candy, there are plenty of opportunities for them to have fun in the coming days.
Starting at 9 a.m. on Monday and lasting until 8 p.m., Brightwood Career Institute in Philadelphia Mills will host a “Trick or Treat the Campus” event for the community.
“We are delighted to host this family-focused event that is free to the community. Children are invited to enjoy our trick-or-treat festivities along with refreshments and fun activities,” said campus president Karen Springer.
The holiday doesn’t have to be about loading up on Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, M&M’s and Snickers.
At Manor College in Jenkintown, there will be a Halloween-themed American Red Cross blood drive on Monday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The college figures what better way to celebrate a holiday that is filled with lots of fake blood than by donating some real blood. The community is welcome to donate, and there will be a costume contest, with a special prize for the winner. Visit redcrossblood.org
“The Manor blood drives are always successful, but this year, since we’re hosting the Red Cross on Halloween, we are expecting a ‘frightfully’ good time,” said director of student engagement Allison Mootz.
Here is a list of some other local happenings:
• On Friday and Monday, from 2 to 2:45 p.m., Welsh Road Library, 9233 Roosevelt Blvd., will host Halloween stories about ghosts, witches and monsters for kids in first through third grades.
• On Friday, Ryerss Museum and Library, 7370 Central Ave., will present spooky tours and the movie Hotel Transylvania in Burholme Park. Tours go from 5 to 6:30 p.m. The cost is $5. Kids 6 and under will be admitted free. The movie will be shown at 7 p.m. There will be music, giveaways and refreshments before showtime. Meanwhile, miniature golf will be $5 all day at Burholme Family Fun Center.
• On Friday at 7:30 p.m., the Fake Philly Friars will hold a costumed Dracula roast at Paddy Whacks Irish Sports Pub, 9241 Roosevelt Blvd. Tickets are $12 at the door or $10 in advance on Eventbrite.com
• On Saturday, a Trunk-or-Treat Spooktacular will take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Mayfair Memorial Playground, Rowland Avenue and Vista Street. The cost is $3, and it’s geared to kids under 10. Proceeds benefit the playground. Kids can come in costume, decorate a mini-pumpkin, play Halloween-themed games, collect candy from sponsors and visit a baked goods table.
• On Saturday, the SPCA, 350 E. Erie Ave., will host its second annual Howl-O-Ween from noon to 2 p.m. There will be craft making, a scavenger hunt with prizes, Halloween treats and snacks. The event is free.
• On Saturday, there will be a Halloween party at the Insectarium, 8046 Frankford Ave., from 1 to 5 p.m. Activities include glow-in-the-dark cockroach races, a bug costume contest, pumpkin painting, paper-mache bug mask making and an opportunity to hold cockroaches and tarantulas.
• On Sunday, the Catholic Daughters Court St. Francis de Sales 2617 will sponsor its 19th annual Tricky Trays at St. Joachim Hall, 1527 Church St., from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. The cost is $5, or $3 for kids ages 5–12, and includes two raffle tickets and dessert. Bring a canned good and receive an additional raffle ticket. A children’s Halloween costume contest will be held, with the winner receiving a prize.
• On Sunday, Star of Hope Baptist Church, 7212–18 Keystone St., will host a Trunk-or-Treat for youths and their chaperones from 12:30 to 4 p.m. The afternoon will include candy, popcorn, cotton candy, hot dogs, pretzels, beverages, games, face painting, Moonbounce with a slide and giveaways. ••