Christmas is just nine days away, and many local folks are planning their dinner extravaganzas and shopping for gifts for family and friends.
Others, though, won’t get to enjoy a lavish meal. And a lot of kids will go without presents under their Christmas tree.
Thankfully, our readers are there to help.
The Times’ annual Eleanor Smylie Community Fund, now in its 67th year, has helped thousands of local families since its inception.
Each year, we ask our readers to contribute to the fund. All money collected is used to buy gift cards to provide holiday dinners and presents to those who are struggling to make ends meet.
Each donation will make a difference, regardless of the amount, and will help ensure each child will have at least one present this holiday season.
The Times will publish your name in a list of donors. If you prefer to donate anonymously, we will honor that request.
The gift cards, to local supermarkets, go to individuals and social service organizations that help the less fortunate during the holidays.
So far this year, we’ve received many generous contributions.
Also, we’ve heard from people seeking help.
A Holmesburg man is juggling raising his three children while caring for his mom, who has multiple sclerosis. A Frankford woman works two minimum-wage jobs to support her 9-year-old son. A West Mayfair single mom gave up her job to care for her mother, who lost her fight with breast cancer.
If you would like to request help, or if you know of someone who could use assistance during the holidays, please take a few minutes to write a letter. The address is:
Eleanor Smylie Community Fund
3412 Progress Drive
Bensalem, PA 19020
Include a name and contact information for an agency or person for verification. Requests can also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Everything about the process will remain anonymous.
If you are able to donate, please send a check to the Eleanor Smylie Community Fund at the address above. Any amount will help.
Thank you for your consideration.
Here are some of the contributors to this year’s fund:
• Richard Huber $25
• In memory of George and Dixie Schweizer $50
• Artur Realty $500
• Richard and Katherine E. Montgomery $100
• The Stecher Family $30
• Anonymous $10
• Anonymous $100
• Helen Maclain and Judith H. Williamson $25
• Anonymous $100
• Home Public Adjusters Inc. $200
• Edward J. Cimorelli $50
• In memory of Yetta and Julius Cooper $25
• The Hanto Family $25
• Anonymous $25
• In memory of Jonathan McGowan $25
• Jane T. Lambing $25
• Anonymous $20
• In memory of Brian Colalongo $25
• In memory of Al Schueller $25
• Steve and Sylvia Mayover $50
• Jeffrey George $10
• James Albert $20
• Anonymous $50
• Walter and Virginia Rininsland $25
• Joann C. Hutton $10
• In memory of Ethel and the Harding family $25
• In memory of Margaret Evans-Tarpinian $25
• Joseph and Johanna Tomaino, Maryann Bucci $25
• John Klinger $10
• Anonymous $50
• In memory of Helen Mauro $25
• In memory of Vince and Nellie Salandra $25
• Lorraine Kolibabek $25
• Anonymous $500
• In memory of Tom McKeown $35
• Trustees Mystic Lodge #270 $200
• John and Maryellen McKay $50
• Shirley A. Quiris $50
• Linda Reichert $20
• In memory of Margaret Magee, Richard Magee, Noritta North $100
• Adrienne A. Saddington $20
• Northeast Council of Senior Citizens $75
• Oxford Beverage $1,000
• Sharon and Richard Bradshaw $25
• Rep. Mark B. Cohen $500 ••