The ring was returned to the owner’s daughter decades after it was lost.
A class ring belonging to a 1949 St. Hubert High School graduate was returned Sunday to the late woman’s daughter, decades after it was lost.
Nancy Kennedy, of Hopewell, New Jersey, found the ring in June, half-buried in the ground near the Quarry Swim Club.
A root was growing through the ring, so Kennedy knew it had been there a long time. When she looked closer, she saw that it was from the class of 1949 and belonged to a graduate with the initials JPW.
Kennedy contacted St. Hubert, and administrators and the alumnae association agreed to help her locate the owner.
On Aug. 1, Kennedy posted the information on Facebook. The next day, Andrea Forrester contacted her to say that the ring belonged to her mom, Julia Patricia “Patsy” Walsh, who attended St. Bartholomew Grammar School before St. Hubert. Patsy, whose married name was Cariola, died in 1987.
Forrester, of Palmyra, New Jersey, and her family met Kennedy and her husband on Sunday at the Olive Garden in Langhorne to take possession of the ring.
The Forresters and Kennedys, along with Trish Decker, St. Hubert’s director of institutional advancement, stayed for dinner and conversation about St. Hubert past and present.
Both families are looking forward to visiting St. Hubert, perhaps for the school’s next block party in October. ••