The organization celebrated 219 years of continuous logistics support to the United States.
Employees filled the lobby of the Defense Logistics Agency Troop Support headquarters, 700 Robbins Ave., on July 6 to celebrate 219 years of the organization’s continuous logistics support to the United States.
Army Brig. Gen. Mark Simerly, DLA Troop Support commander, hosted the anniversary celebration.
DLA Troop Support ties its origins to the acquisition of the Schuylkill Arsenal.
On July 6, 1799, the federal government purchased 8.6 acres of land on the banks of the Schuylkill River at Gray’s Ferry to construct the first federal arsenal for the 23-year-old nation. The warehouse’s purpose was to hold ammunition and other military supplies such as clothing and textiles.
The manufacturing, storing and distribution of clothing and textiles became the arsenal’s sole purpose in 1818. The mission that started at the Schuylkill Arsenal carries on today at DLA Troop Support as the Clothing and Textiles supply chain, procuring uniform items for the military services and other government agencies.
Leaders from the Naval Support Activity Mechanicsburg and Philadelphia, tenant organizations, surrounding Naval Supply Systems Command locations and the Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce also attended the event.
A consolidated history of DLA Troop Support’s role in federal logistics support can be found here.
For an overview of DLA’s history, go here. ••