Police officer recovering after being shot Wednesday in Kensington

Officer Paul Sulock, an Archbishop Ryan grad, was praised for his courage after being shot while on duty Wednesday morning.

Police Officer Paul Sulock was shot in the leg Wednesday morning in Kensington. SOURCE: PHILADELPHIA POLICE

Update #2: The District Attorney’s Office on Friday announced that Jerome Hill, 29, of Olney, was charged with two counts of attempted murder, two counts of aggravated assault on law enforcement, criminal conspiracy and related charges in connection to the shooting of Police Officer Paul Sulock.

Prosecutors said testimony and video evidence show Hill fired multiple shots at Sulock and another officer. Bail for Hill was set at $3.3 million, according to the DA’s Office.

Hill has an extensive criminal history, according to court records.

He was sentenced to four to eight years in prison for gun charges in 2012. At that point, Hill was already a convicted felon, having pleaded guilty in 2008 to aggravated assault and carrying a firearm in public.

A 2012 Inquirer column stated that Hill goes by the name “Killer Rome” and frequents the streets of Kensington. He had already been involved in three shootings at that time, including the accidental shooting of his cousin, according to the article.

A second man, James Gauthney, 19, of East Germantown, was also charged in connection to Sulock’s shooting. Investigators are still working to determine his involvement, but he was charged with hindering apprehension, obstruction of justice and unsworn falsification, the DA’s Office said.

Update: Officer Paul Sulock, who lives in Bustleton, was released from Temple University Hospital Thursday afternoon.

Jerome Hill, left, was charged in the shooting of Police Officer Paul Sulock Wednesday in Kensington. James Gauthney, right, was also charged in connection to the incident. SOURCE: PHILADELPHIA POLICE

A police officer is recovering at Temple University Hospital after being shot Wednesday morning in Kensington.

Officer Paul Sulock, 31, a 2006 graduate of Archbishop Ryan High School, was shot in the leg around 11 a.m. while on patrol in the area of G and Madison streets, police said.

Police said Sulock and his partner came upon two men engaged in an armed altercation. As the two officers intervened, one of the men shot Sulock in the right leg. He was rushed to the hospital by fellow officers.

He was initially listed in critical but stable condition and has since been upgraded to stable condition, according to police.

Two suspects connected to the shooting have been arrested, police said.

Sulock, a 10-year police department veteran who is married with four children, was praised by local officials for his bravery.

Police Commissioner Richard Ross said Sulock continued to pursue one of the suspects even after being shot in the leg, according to numerous media reports.

“As he was wounded, Officer Sullock still pursued and apprehended a suspect,” U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey said on Twitter. “This is an incredible show of bravery.”

Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 5 President John McNesby said in a letter Wednesday afternoon that Sulock was “resting comfortably” and expected to make a full recovery.