The Holmesburg Civic Association discussed the issues below during its Sept. 10 meeting:
• The Holmesburg Fish & Game Protective Association, 5100 Pennypack St., is holding a membership drive. The cost is $100 for the remainder of 2019 and all of 2020. NRA membership is required. Call 215-624-9454 or go to holmesburgfishandgame.com.
• State Rep. Kevin Boyle will host a job fair for residents seeking to help with the upcoming 2020 Census. The job fair will take place from noon to 2 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 20, at Boyle’s district office at 7420 Frankford Ave. Temporary positions are available, including field supervisors, recruiting assistants and census takers. Call 215-331-2600. For more information or to reserve a spot at the job fair, constituents should call Boyle’s office at 215-331-2600.
• State Sen. John Sabatina will hold a Senior Expo on Friday, Oct. 11, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Pennsylvania Army National Guard Armory, 2700 Southampton Road (at Roosevelt Boulevard). Refreshments will be provided. Call 215-695-1020.
• The city elections commissioners office sent a new voting machines for neighbors to test.
• Neighbors voted 6-4 in opposition to a plan by the owner of a property on the 8000 block of Moro St. to legalize a duplex.
• Jacob Deutsch, of Public Health Management Program, spoke of Restore Repair Renew, an initiative of the Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority, to help homeowners access low-interest loans to invest in their properties. Call 877-515-0575 or go to RestoreRepairRenew.org.
• The civic association will accept nominations for president and secretary at its Oct. 13 meeting.
• The Monarch Beer Garden will be back on Thursday, Oct. 24, from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Insectarium and Butterfly Pavilion, 8046 Frankford Ave. Proceeds go to community projects. The evening will include vendors, performers and giveaways. ••