U.S. Rep. Brendan Boyle (D-2nd dist.) on Aug. 18 addressed the Democratic National Convention.
Boyle was chosen as one of 17 “rising stars” to deliver the keynote address.
The congressman, sitting at his kitchen table, was among 16 people who spoke in small snippets in a rotation.
Following their comments was a short speech by Stacey Abrams, the unsuccessful 2018 Democratic candidate for governor of Georgia.
The convention was scheduled for Milwaukee, but held virtually due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Below are the remarks from Boyle about Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, whom he endorsed early in the nomination battle.
• “He knows what it’s like to work hard for everything you’ve got.”
• “He’ll build an economy that rewards work, not wealth, and get rid of the Trump tax cuts that only benefit big corporations and the rich. And then he’ll invest in health care, education and infrastructure and in getting small businesses up and running again.”
Boyle also knocked President Donald Trump.
• “But let’s remember, Donald Trump is suing to take health care coverage away from more than 20 million Americans and eliminate protections for over a hundred million with pre-existing conditions.”
Boyle addressed issues that Biden and a Democratic-controlled Congress could tackle.
• “You deserve healthcare you can afford, a job that pays you fairly. You deserve childcare and paid sick leave while you work. And when you pay into Social Security and Medicare, you deserve to know it will be there when you retire.”
• “In the House of Representatives, we’re closing loopholes to ensure local infrastructure projects use American-made materials and local labor and support American manufacturing.”
The Trump War Room Twitter page was not impressed, tweeting, “If this band of 17 radicals is the future of the Democrat Party, Americans should be very worried. They all hold far-left positions that are well outside the mainstream.
Of Boyle, the Trump War Room said, “Rep. Brendan Boyle supports Bernie Sanders’s socialist Medicare For All scheme, which would outlaw private health insurance plans. He also supports the job-killing socialist Green New Deal.”
Boyle also spoke at the 2016 convention, held at the Wells Fargo Center. ••