The St. William Parish community paid tribute on Saturday to the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary who will be leaving the convent after 97 years of service.
IHM administration made the announcement in January, citing a decrease in the number of Sisters and a desire to preserve a sense of community.
The eight nuns at St. William will now reside in other area convents. The school closed in 2012, and the nuns have various assignments.
The nuns were treated to lunch at Randi’s, then celebrated at a Mass of Thanksgiving later in the day.
Bishop Michael Fitzgerald celebrated the Mass. About 20 IHM nuns formerly assigned to St. William were in attendance.
Tributes to IHM nuns were read by Gerry Laskowski (St. William class of 1968, now principal at St. Hubert) and on behalf of former teacher Pat Meehan and Monsignor Joe Tracy (class of 1973, now assigned to Our Lady of Good Counsel).
The commemorative booklet listed the 300-plus nuns who have served St. William since 1924. That included the eight current convent residents: Sister Rose Patrice Kuhn, Sister Jo-Ann Abate, Sister Lorraine Marie DeArros, Sister Judith Ann Geschke, Sister Ana Iris Grana, Sister Margaret Paul Longshore, Sister Marcille McEntee and Sister Eileen Reilly. ••