PECO and the office of Councilman Brian O’Neill last week distributed free fans to seniors at the Rosemary Montagno Senior Center, 12601 Townsend Road.
The fans were secured at Penn Hardware, 7404 Frankford Ave.
PECO offers these suggestions for keeping your home cool and your energy bill down:
• Turn off unnecessary lights.
• Close blinds, shades and drapes to reduce the amount of sunlight entering your home.
• Use room fans, ceiling fans and attic and whole-house fans to circulate air.
• Avoid using home appliances such as dishwashers and clothes dryers during peak daylight hours. These appliances generate heat and add humidity to homes. Use these appliances during the early morning or late evening when it is generally cooler.
• Keep your thermostat set at a constant, comfortable level.
For more ways to save energy and money, visit peco.com/smartideas. ••