The Greater Bustleton Civic League finally had an in-person meeting last week, considering a zoning case at 2050 Welsh Road.
Attorney Harry Cook represented Angelic Home Care Agency, which needs a variance to continue operating because the property is zoned residential. The agency formerly operated out of 8100 Roosevelt Blvd.
A doctor operated out of the Welsh Road location after securing a variance in 1991. However, since there was a lapse in use after the doctor’s office closed, the zoning reverted back to residential.
Angelic Home Care hires and trains caregivers who go to people’s houses to care for them.
A Zoning Board of Adjustment hearing is set for Aug. 10.
Residents were concerned about parking and safety on Welsh Road. They voted 24-0 against the proposal.
In other news from the June 28 meeting:
• Capt. Steven O’Brien, commander of the 7th Police District, and community relations officer Joe Staszak provided crime updates. O’Brien said overall crime is down in the last six weeks due to some recent arrests of carjackers. He pointed to two gunpoint robberies, one at the 7-Eleven at 1900-10 Welsh Road and another at Dollar General, in Leo Mall. There were a couple of burglaries at stores in Grant Plaza II, 1619 Grant Ave. In the last 30 days, there were 45 thefts from auto, including 18 catalytic converters, with 15 of the 45 vehicles being unlocked. • Haley Grunwald, of the city Department of Public Health, spoke about the West Nile Virus and Lyme disease.
• PennDOT is performing work on Welsh Road, from Pine Road to Krewstown Road, which will cut traffic each way from two lanes to one lane.
• Property owners will receive their new assessments in the mail by Sept. 1. The deadline to file an appeal is Oct. 3. To find your assessment and upcoming tax bill online, type in your address at property.phila.gov. Taxes are due March 31, 2023.
• The 7th Police District, PDAC and NE Philly Connected will present a movie night on July 22, at 8 p.m., in the 7th district parking lot, 1701 Bowler St. The movie to be shown is Encanto. Bring your own chairs and blankets. PDAC will provide refreshments.
• The Greater Bustleton Civic League will meet on Tuesday, Sept. 27, at 7 p.m. at American Heritage Credit Union, 2060 Red Lion Road. The meeting will also be held on Zoom. ••