Phoebe Coles, CEO of Community Marketing Concepts, discussed the Philly Streetlight Improvement Project at last week’s Greater Bustleton Civic League meeting.
The project will convert 120,000 streetlights into more efficient, longer-lasting LED lights. The lights are meant to improve visibility, and should be replaced faster. The city insists the $70 million to $80 million project will pay for itself due to energy savings and efficiencies at the Department of Streets.
At present, there is a pilot program on Wistaria Street, from Murray Street to Grant Avenue.
The project will start next year and should be completed in about 18 months.
For more information, call 215-871-0400, email email@example.com or visit https://www.phillystreetlightimprovement.com/.
• The 7th Police District was represented by Capt. Steven O’Brien and community relations officer Joe Staszak. Detectives are looking for two black males who pistol-whipped a man on the 9300 block of Hoff St. and stole his cell phone, keys and car. A homeless woman was arrested for sleeping in a property under construction on the 13000 block of Bustleton Ave. In a recent 28-day period in the district, there were 72 thefts from autos, including 32 stolen catalytic converters.
• A resident of the 9300 block of Voits Lane is seeking a variance for a side deck. A Zoning Board of Adjustment hearing is set for Dec. 14. The owner also plans to take down a partially constructed rear deck and rebuild.
• The Northeast Philadelphia History Network will meet on Wednesday, Nov. 2, at 7 p.m. at Pennepack Baptist Meetinghouse, 8732 Krewstown Road. Mike Wunsch, a Fox Chase resident and Civil War historian, will speak on John Paul Verree, a businessman, congressman and president of the Union League.
• TreePhilly and Riverfront North Partnership are teaming for a free yard tree giveaway on Saturday, Nov. 5, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Pleasant Hill Park, 9000 N. Delaware Ave. Register at https://treephilly.org/fall-2022/.
• The Greater Bustleton Civic League will meet on Thursday, Nov. 22, at 7 p.m. at American Heritage Credit Union, 2060 Red Lion Road. The following meeting will be on Dec. 13. ••