The Greater Bustleton Civic League last week approved a proposal to build apartments at 9916 Bustleton Ave.
The site is zoned commercial/auto. Developers plan six buildings, with 90 total apartments, all with balconies.
Blank Rome lawyer Jared Klein explained that the 3-story New Garden Apartments will feature some units with two bedrooms and two baths, while others will have one bedroom and one bath. Monthly rents are expected to be $2,000 to $2,100. As the apartments will be market rate, none will be rented Section 8. There will be 135 parking spots. A bridge will be constructed over Paul’s Run Stream.
Opponents were concerned about parking, that there is just one small access point and traffic, particularly being across the street from busy Bustleton Post Office.
The vote in favor was 34-8.
A Zoning Board of Adjustment hearing will take place on Oct. 4.
In other news from the May 23 meeting:
• Sgt. Peter Singer and community relations officer Joe Staszak provided crime updates for the 7th Police District. From April 17 to May 14, there were 59 stolen cars, with 50 of them being Kias or Hyundais. Many of the cars were unlocked. Three arrests have been made. The officers suggested people buy The Club. The Citizens bank branch at the ShopRite, 11000 Roosevelt Blvd., was robbed twice. Arrests were made in both crimes.
• The application deadline is June 30 for the state Property Tax/Rent Rebate program. The program is for senior citizens, widows and widowers 50 and older and disabled adults. Annual income limits are $35,000 for homeowners and $15,000 for renters (excluding half of all Social Security income). Contact Sen. Jimmy Dillon at 12361 Academy Road, 215-281-2539 or email@example.com.
• Sen. Jim Dillon hosts veterans services on the second Tuesday of the month from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at his office at 12361 Academy Road. To make an appointment, call 215-281-2539.
• The annual wiffle ball tournament to raise money for breast cancer patients will take place on Saturday, July 22, at Hayes Playground/Bustleton Bengals fields.
• The Greater Bustleton Civic League will meet on Tuesday, Sept. 26, at 7 p.m. at American Heritage Credit Union, 2060 Red Lion Road. Elections will be held for board officers. ••