The Fox Chase Town Watch and Civic Association last week heard from officials of the 2nd and 7th police districts and the Rockledge Police Department.
Joe Staszak, community relations in the 7th, spoke of two arrests for stealing a Hyundai near Verree Road and Bloomfield Avenue.
The annual Fox Chase Champions holiday party will take place on Dec. 12, at Knowlton Mansion. Santa Claus and the Phillie Phanatic will appear, and 2nd district community relations officer Mark Mroz will be the DJ.
Mroz said the district will be distributing Thanksgiving baskets and holiday gifts to the needy. Donation checks can be made to 2nd District Holiday Fund and mailed to 7306 Castor Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19152.
Mroz, noting the high number of car thefts, recommended giving loved ones a steering wheel lock for Christmas.
Rockledge Police Chief John Gallagher urged people to be careful when using ATMs, whether inside or outside.
In other news from the Nov. 8 meeting:
• Joe Delmar, chief of staff for state Rep. Kevin Boyle, welcomed constituents to visit Boyle’s district office at 7801 Hasbrook Ave. The office is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Delmar spoke of the recent unanimous House passage of House Bill 1466, which would give registered community organizations a process to dismiss so-called Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation (SLAPP). If a suit is dismissed, an RCO could recover attorneys’ fees, costs and damages. The legislation is in the Senate. Some civic groups would like to see an amendment to the bill that would provide RCOs with reimbursement if their insurance premiums increase due to a SLAPP suit.
Meanwhile, City Council is weighing a proposed change to the Home Rule Charter that would provide legal protections to RCOs that are sued.
• Friends of Fox Chase Farm and 4-H are hoping to regain access to Fox Chase Farm when the School District of Philadelphia renegotiates its lease with the city. The Friends group has donated a lot of money over the years to the farm.
• Ryerss Museum & Library, 7370 Central Ave. in Burholme Park, will host its annual Christmas open house on Saturday, Dec. 9, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 215-685-0599.
• Residents can take leaves, collected in brown paper bags, to Fox Chase Recreation Center to be recycled on Saturdays, Nov. 18 and 25, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• The Rite Aid at 7941 Oxford Ave. has closed.
• Fox Chase Town Watch and Civic Association will meet on Wednesday, Jan. 10, at 7:30 p.m. at American Legion Loudenslager Post 366, 7976 Oxford Ave. ••