Capt. Marc Metellus and community relations officer Mark Mroz spoke at last week’s 2nd Police District Advisory Council meeting.
Mroz thanked Bill Conaway, director of community relations at the Philadelphia Protestant Home, for organizing a Veterans Day luncheon. PPH is home to more than 60 veterans, including three centenarians.
The 2nd district will be involved in a number of upcoming events and initiatives, starting with providing Operations Thanksgiving food baskets for the needy.
Mroz will be the DJ at the annual Fox Chase Champions party for special needs children and young adults at Knowlton Mansion on Dec. 12.
The citywide Shop with a Cop will take place on Dec. 15 at the Walmart in South Philadelphia. Each police district brings 10 local children to shop during the holiday season with a Walmart gift card.
The Santa Ride is back on Saturday, Dec. 16. Santa and Mrs. Claus, joined by elves and Mickey and Minnie Mouse, will ride in a truck through the streets of Fox Chase, starting at 4 p.m., tossing candy canes to kids. Track the Santa Ride on the Fox Chase Lock & Key page on Facebook.
On the crime front, the armed robber shot to death by an employee of a Northwood pizza shop on Nov. 4 was a suspect in a recent robbery of Castor Pizza.
In other news from the Nov. 14 meeting:
• PennDOT will hold a meeting on safety improvements to Castor Avenue on Monday, Nov. 27, from 4-7 p.m. at Northeast Services Hub, 6434 Castor Ave. The improvements will come on Castor, from Oxford Circle to Cottman Avenue. Plans are to add parking-protected bike lanes and convert the avenue from four lanes to three, with center-left turn lanes at major intersections.
• The Rockledge Fox Chase Business Association will sponsor a tree-lighting ceremony on Saturday, Dec. 2, from 2-5 p.m. at Northeast Lions Park, 7964 Oxford Ave. There will be face painting, crafters/vendors, hot chocolate, cookies, ornament making, holiday music, singing with Leslie, Joe and Jeff and an appearance by Santa Claus, who’ll arrive on a Rockledge Volunteer Fire Company truck.
• The Energy Coordinating Agency will hold a LIHEAP and utility services application event on Saturday, Dec. 2, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Northeast Services Hub, 6434 Castor Ave.
• State Rep. Jared Solomon last Friday opened a new office at 7104 Frankford Ave.
• The 2nd PDAC will meet at 6 p.m. at the Protestant Home, 6401 Martins Mill Road, on Tuesdays, Dec. 12, Jan. 9, Feb. 13, March 12, April 9, May 14 and June 11. ••