Hailey Stern, of the public affairs division of the Philadelphia Water Department, told members of the Holmesburg Civic Association that the utility is planning a construction project in the street and on the sidewalk.
The project is part of the city’s Green City, Clean Waters program, intended to use plants, trees and stone to capture rainwater flowing from streets, sidewalks and buildings. By doing so, water will slowly filter into the ground and allow plant roots to soak it up.
The utility will install stormwater bump-outs along Crispin Street and Rowland Avenue, along with stormwater tree trenches and stormwater planters along Rowland Avenue.
Construction is expected in about a year.
For more information, visit www.phillywatersheds.org
In other news from the June 14 meeting:
• Alice Dignam, supervisor at Holmesburg Recreation Center, at Rhawn and Ditman streets, invited people to take advantage of programs offered at the facility.
Among the programs are children’s after-school for kids in kindergarten through sixth grade; arts and crafts; a tot rec for ages 3, 4 and 5; theater; and children’s art classes every Friday from 6 to 8 p.m.
• Members approved a proposal for businessman Gerald Guzinski to obtain a personal services license, with the intention to open a gym on a parcel of ground at 7600 State Road. A Zoning Board of Adjustment hearing will take place on Aug. 9.
• The Philadelphia More Beautiful committee supplies brooms and bags for people organizing a block cleanup. Call 215–685–3981.
Recycling bins are available at the district offices of state Rep. Kevin Boyle, 7420 Frankford Ave., and City Councilman Bobby Henon, 6730 Torresdale Ave.
To sign up for the recycling rewards program, call toll-free 888–727–2978 or visit phillyrecyclingpays.com
• Holmesburg Library, 7810 Frankford Ave., will host Greyhounds are Great on Monday, July 11, at 6 p.m. Guests will be able to meet and pet a retired racing greyhound. The program will be presented by Teresa Glover, of Citizens Against Greyhound Racing.
The Friends of Holmesburg Library will sponsor Family Night in the Garden on Wednesday, Aug. 10, from 5:30 to 7:45 p.m. There will be refreshments and face-painting. Call 215–685–8756.
• The Tacony Holmesburg Town Watch and 15th Police District will celebrate National Night Out on Tuesday, Aug. 2, at 7 p.m. There will be a parade on Torresdale Avenue from Rhawn Street to Cottman Avenue. Russo Park will host a crime fair and vendor event.
• Holmesburg Civic Association will meet again on Tuesday, Sept. 13, at 7:15 p.m. at Holmesburg Recreation Center. ••