Residents voted on a fence, signage and smoking lounge.
The Lawncrest Community Association last week listened to three zoning proposals that are scheduled to be heard in March, before the group’s next meeting.
A homeowner on the 5800 block of Hasbrook Ave. wants to legalize a masonry fence. The city allows 4-foot-high walls, but the homeowner wants a wall that is 6 feet, 7 inches. The LCA voted unanimously to require the homeowner to abide by the 4-foot code.
The LCA reported to the city Department of Licenses and Inspections that Buyer’s Tires and Autocare, 6809 Rising Sun Ave., has an illegal sign. Owners Stuart and Wendy Beyer promised to remove the sign, and the community group voted to not oppose legalization of the other existing signs. Three residents voted to oppose the tire company, which has been in business for 12 years.
Smoker’s Zone, a tobacco shop at 6810 Rising Sun Ave. in an old Blockbuster Video store, wants to open a lounge for its premium cigar smokers. The shop has been open for 18 months. Hours are weekdays from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and weekends from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. The LCA voted to not oppose opening of the lounge. Two people voted to oppose the lounge.
In other news from the Feb. 20 meeting:
• LCA members observed a moment of silence for Evelyn Woltemate, Ed “Uncle Buck” McGovern Jr. and Helen McGrody.
• Philadelphia Protestant Home officials will serve as grand marshals of the 103rd Lawncrest July 4th Celebration.
• Presentation BVM will host Bits & Bags Bingo on Friday, March 2, at its church hall, 100 Old Soldiers Road in Cheltenham. Doors open at 6:15 p.m., with games beginning at 7. The cost is $35 and includes, hoagie, dessert and drink. The event is BYOB and open to people 21 and older. There will be a 50/50 and prizes such as a TV, PlayStation and Shark vacuum. Call 215–379–3798 or email email@example.com
• State Rep. Jared Solomon (D-202nd dist.) will sponsor a job fair on Saturday, March 10, from 9 a.m. to noon at the Bustleton Learning Center, 6600 Bustleton Ave. Visitors will meet with representatives from local businesses, PA CareerLink, city and state government agencies, unions and recruiters. Call 215–342–6340.
• Sign-ups will take place on Saturday, March 3, at 10 a.m. for the Lawncrest Community Garden. The garden is at the Lawncrest Recreation Center, 6000 Rising Sun Ave., behind the firehouse. The cost is $20 for a plot. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Lawncrest Recreation Center, 6000 Rising Sun Ave., will host a community yard sale on Saturday, April 28, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Spots cost $10. Call 215–685–0597.
• Lawncrest Community Association will meet again on Tuesday, March 20, at 7 p.m. at St. William parish hall, Argyle and Robbins streets. ••