Nine people have been arrested in the 15th Police District over the past 30 days after reports of car break-ins from residents, and Capt. John Walker, the district’s commanding officer, is asking neighbors to stay vigilant.
There were a total of 85 reported theft from auto incidents in the 15th District from May 20 to June 20, according to data provided by Walker.
Walker, in an email, asked people living in the district to tell their friends about car break-ins, share video and call 911 if they see people peering in and around vehicles. All nine arrests were a result of 911 reports and videos shared with police, he said.
The following is a list of arrests for alleged theft from autos, according to data provided by Walker:
- Kevin Williams, 24, of Kensington, was arrested June 9 on the 4900 block of Castor Avenue in Northwood.
- Steven Schreckengost, 30, of University City, was arrested June 18 on the 1400 block of Adams Avenue in Frankford.
- Tyree Wilson, 19, of West Philadelphia, Gabriel Minnick, 20, of Logan, and July Carter, 22, of Tacony were all arrested June 19 on the 6600 block of Montague Street in Tacony. Carter was also arrested June 7 on the 6400 block of Edmund Street.
- Yolanda Perez, 26, of Wissinoming, was arrested on May 29 on the 1900 block of Kennedy Street in the Lower Northeast.
- Nasir Cross, 28, of Wissinoming, was arrested May 21 on the 3300 block of Brighton Street in Mayfair. He was also arrested May 4 after police say he broke into two vehicles on the 3000 block of Nesper Street.
- Deandre Jones, 29, of Tacony, was arrested June 13 on the 3200 block of Wellington Street in Mayfair. Police say he was also arrested June 19 for allegedly breaking into cars at 8300 Dorcas St., 8500 Algon Ave., 8500 Benton Ave. and 1700 Fox Chase Road.
In addition, Johnathan Melendez, 33, of Mayfair, was arrested June 18 after police say he stole tires and rims from a vehicle on the 1900 block of Bowler Street in Bustleton. He had previously been arrested for the same thing in February, Walker said. ••