The Lawncrest Community Association last week approved one zoning request and rejected another.
The LCA unanimously backed a proposed variance for a business at 5735 Rising Sun Ave. The location, a former doctor’s office, will transform into a mortgage office. There is off-street parking in a lot at Sentner Street. Hours will be weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and weekends by appointment. A Zoning Board of Adjustment hearing is set for Nov. 20.
The group opposed a bid by the owner of 5750-52 Rising Sun Ave. to increase living space from four to six families. Only one person was in favor, with her arguing that the site used to attract squatters and the homeless. A zoning hearing will take place on Nov. 6.
In other news from the Oct. 15 meeting:
• The 2nd Police District was represented by community relations officer Mark Mroz and crime prevention officer Maureen Ciamaichelo. Mroz said no arrest has been made in a shooting death at 451 Van KIrk St. The crime update included a 3 a.m. stabbing on the 400 block of Tyson Ave., with the culprit stealing $1,000 from the victim. Ciamaichelo encouraged residents of the 2nd Police District to contact her at Maureen.Ciamaichelo@phila.gov.
• Speedy Automotive, 100 Comly St., was named Business of the Month.
• The Lawncrest Youth Council held a bake sale to raise money for its upcoming Halloween celebration, set for Saturday, Oct. 26, from 5 to 9 p.m. at Trinity Church, Oxford, 601 Longshore Ave. Admission is free. There will be a trunk or treat, arts and crafts, cupcake decorating, face painting, a costume contest and games. Email email@example.com.
• State Rep. Jared Solomon will host two upcoming clinics at his office at 7012 Castor Ave. Philadelphia Gas Works will be on site on Nov. 15, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Department of Revenue will be there on Dec. 13, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Crescentville United Methodist Church, 412 Sentner St., will host a flea market and bazaar on Saturday, Oct. 26, from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The day will include homemade baked goods, vegetable beef soup and lunch for sale. Call 215-745-7115.
• Presentation BVM Elementary School, 105 Old Soldiers Road in Cheltenham, will hold an open house on Wednesday, Nov. 6, from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Call 215-379-3798 or visit presentationbvmschool.org.
• Prince of Peace Church, 6001 Colgate St. (at Comly Street), will host an indoor festival on Saturday, Oct. 26, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. There will be a bazaar, crafts and lunch.
• City Councilwoman Cherelle Parker will hold a Tangled Title Clinic and Resource Fair on Tuesday, Nov. 12, from 4:30 to 7 p.m. at Lawncrest Recreation Center, 6000 Rising Sun Ave. RSVP at 215-686-3454.
• The Philadelphia Protestant Home, 6500 Tabor Road, is hiring part-time security officers To schedule an interview, call 215-697-8045. PPH is also hiring in its dining services department. Call 215-697-8040.
• Lawncrest Community Association will meet on Tuesday, Nov. 19, at 7 p.m. at Monsignor Mortimer Parish Hall, Argyle and Robbins streets. ••