Capt. Jim Kimrey, commander of the 2nd Police District, discussed a sharp rise in stolen cars at last week’s 2nd Police District Advisory Council meeting.
Kimrey outlined crimes in the last two weeks preceding the Jan. 10 meeting. There were 69 stolen cars, including nine that were left running and five that were carjackings. Of the total stolen vehicles, 31 were Kias and 19 were Hyundais. One of the carjackings took place on the 2300 block of Cottman Ave., and the vehicle was recovered in Abington.
On a related note, there were 10 stolen catalytic converters.
Among the residential burglaries, there was an arrest for the one that took place on the 6900 block of Lynford St.
There were five commercial burglaries, including ones at the Northeast High School fieldhouse and at the Dollar Tree at 4600 Roosevelt Blvd.
Shootings took place on the 2500 block of Griffith St., the 1400 block of Knorr St. and the 6500 block of Horrocks St.
In other news from the meeting:
• Kimrey will hold a captain’s town hall meeting on Monday, Jan. 23, at 6:30 p.m. at Max Myers Recreation Center, 1601 Hellerman St.
• While Kimrey discussed crime, community relations officer Mark Mroz spoke about some outreach around the holidays, including the Operation Thanksgiving meal giveaway, a Santa ride in Fox Chase, the Fox Chase Champions holiday event at Knowlton Mansion and a joint effort of the 2nd district and PDAC to provide Christmas meals to senior citizens and families who were victims of crimes.
• City Councilman Anthony Phillips is hoping to ban tractor-trailer parking on residential streets in the 9th Councilmanic District, as was recently done in the 6th and 10th districts. Phillips would like to join Councilmen Mike Driscoll and Brian O’Neill in a meeting with the Philadelphia Parking Authority to discuss the ticketing and towing of illegally parked trucks.
Phillips is also hoping to find a way to discourage the stealing of catalytic converters by tracking them to where they originated.
• State Sen. Tina Tartaglione has moved her office a short distance to 5321 Oxford Ave.
• The 2nd PDAC will meet again on the following Tuesdays at 6 p.m. at the Philadelphia Protestant Home: Feb. 14, March 14, April 11 and May 9. ••